A keto meal is a meal is designed to be low in carbohydrates and high in fat, in order to promote a state of ketosis in the body.
Ketosis is a metabolic state where the body burns fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates.
A typical keto meal consists of a source of protein, such as meat, fish, or eggs, along with non-starchy vegetables and healthy fats, such as avocado, olive oil, or nuts. Foods that are high in carbohydrates, such as bread, pasta, rice, and sugar, are generally avoided on a keto diet.
Some common keto meals include:
- Grilled chicken with a side of broccoli and a salad dressed with olive oil and vinegar
- Salmon baked with butter and served with roasted asparagus and a side of cauliflower rice
- A spinach and mushroom omelet cooked in coconut oil with a side of bacon
The exact composition of a keto meal depends on an individual’s specific macronutrient goals and dietary preferences.
But the general idea is to keep carbohydrate intake lower and fat intake high in order to achieve and maintain a state of ketosis.
Below is just one example of a keto meal plan just for 3 days and there are many different options that can be tailored to your preferences and dietary needs.
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with cheese and avocado
- Snack: Almonds and celery sticks with cream cheese
- Lunch: Grilled chicken with asparagus and cauliflower rice
- Snack: Greek yogurt with raspberries
- Dinner: Pan-seared salmon with broccoli and mixed greens salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing
- Breakfast: Omelet with spinach, feta cheese and bacon
- Snack: Cheddar cheese cubes and cherry tomatoes
- Lunch: Tuna salad with lettuce, cucumber and mayonnaise
- Snack: Peanut butter with celery sticks
- Dinner: Beef stir-fry with zucchini, bell peppers and onions
- Breakfast: Coconut flour pancakes with sugar-free syrup and bacon
- Snack: Hard-boiled egg and cucumber slices
- Lunch: Grilled chicken Caesar salad with bacon and Parmesan cheese
- Snack: Cottage cheese with blueberries
- Dinner: Baked cod with roasted Brussels sprouts and mashed cauliflower